Friday, August 12, 2011

Modern (In)Conveniences

I believe it was Greek philosopher, Plato, who said 'Necessity is the mother of invention' and he was right.  Wherever would we be without things like fire, the wheel, penicillin and HDTV?  And let us not forget 100% cotton fabric and a rotary cutter--oh, you're not a quilter?  How........odd.

Then, there are those things that, although lovely to gaze upon (Hugh Jackman, anyone?) or while away an hour or two (hellooo, Facebook), are really nothing more than time drains and just another item to be marked off the ever-lengthening list of things requiring my attention.

Which leads me to where I am at this moment.  Contrary to what some may believe based on actual, almost daily, face-to-face interaction, hurting feelings or just generally being irksome, isn't my goal.  Actually, my e-vile plan is simply to drive folks over the edge and around the bend..which is where I am.  I am not so vain as to believe that 'un-friending' people will alter irrevocably the surface of their social landscape or leave them curled in a fetal position whilst sucking a thumb.  But I'm too damn tired to message each individual friend (ones I've actually met in the flesh); virtual friend; passing acquaintance; co-worker; and yes, even family so this will just have to do.

No, I'm not closing it all down entirely.  I'm just doing some serious pruning of the Facebook vines.  If you choose to go that route and be offended, so be it, but that's on you.  I wish you well and, should we run into one another down the road (and for some of you, we definitely will), understand that it's not you, it's me.

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment