Sunday, June 12, 2011

Thangled Up in a Jelly Roll

For some reason I've acquired multiple packages of Thangles, those little paper strips that come in 15 different widths (from 1/2" to 6") that supposedly make the process of creating half-square triangles so much easier.  They were taunting me this weekend along with my obscenely large collection of Jelly Rolls (the fabric strips, not the fat..thanks for asking). 



The directions are fairly straightforward: layer two strips of fabric, one light and one dark, cut 1/2" wider than your desired finish size with right-sides together.  Jelly Roll strips are 2 1/2" inches wide.  I used 2" wide finished-size Thangles.  How's that for using the old noodle, eh? 


The directions show you where to pin the whole strip together, but speaking from experience, I can tell you to pin the thing into submission until it squeals like a schoolgirl, otherwise the fabric will shift, resulting in much cursing and gnashing of teeth.  Not from me, mind you, 'cause ya'll know I don't do that sh*t, I mean schmidt, I mean crap.


Commence with the chain-piecing...I do so love to zip through strip after strip..on the dotted lines.  An alcoholic beverage made this go lots faster...is it illegal to SWD (sew while drinking)? 


Cut the strips apart on the solid lines...


And press those babies open.


This is what I've got so far...looks impressive, doesn't it?  (Insert eye-roll here)



And THIS is what's left (sigh).  The package makes 450 HST (cringe and a gulp), but I've endeavored to persevere.  I rather like working with them..beats the heck out of tracing pencil lines on the wrong side, etc, etc.  I wonder if I could teach a kid to pin them for me....hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have been trapped by the thangle tangle. I even pieced bits of fabric together to use up scraps with them (not recommended - see curses in your post).

    Keep at it - and I cannot wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SeamedUP, thanks for your comment. I'm using the 'Love U' Jelly Roll from Deb Strain for Moda and am hoping to get 2-3 baby-sized quilts out of it. I'll probably do a couple of borders on each. I'll post when I'm (finally) finished with them!

    ReplyDelete