I chose the Cherries Jubilee charm pack from American Jane for Moda. I actually wound up having to use two of them because I could get only four 9 patch blocks from each charm pack. Luckily, I'm practically drowning in charm packs.
The concept is really simple. Start by sewing a 9 patch block: 3 rows of 3 blocks each. I used charm packs because they're precut and I'm impatient, but you could use any size block you wanted.
Once the 9 patch is assembled, cut it down the middle vertically...
...and across the middle horizontally.
What you wind up with are four wonky 4 patches that you simply turn any direction until you're satisfied with the look. Alas, this is where I encountered some trouble as I am never satisfied. You can really drive yourself bonkers if you're too finicky with this pattern. I'm already bonkers, so it was a short trip.
Mom and I got together last night to sew and chat...and eat cheesecake and I still managed to get all the blocks pieced. When I put laid them out...hmmm (this is me, sounding not very pleased).
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear my daughter's crayon box threw up on my design wall. It's a bird! It's a plane! No!! It's technicolor fiber vomit! So for now I'm stuck, but I'm contemplating adding some sashing to break up all that gawd-awful nauseousness. Or I may just close my eyes, pull a Michael Andretti to speed sew them all together and get this thing outta my way. I'll think on it awhile...and you know how long that takes me.
Happy quilting, ya'll!