Monday, September 5, 2011

OHIM Retreat

Mom and I left Friday morning, headed north for a weekend quilt retreat in Milford, Texas.  We took the scenic route through Pantego, Cedar Hill, Midlothian and Waxahachie hitting a quilt shop in each town.  We sat down to lunch at Catfish Plantation in Waxahachie, an old home rumored to be haunted.  I didn't see any ghosts, but the catfish and hushpuppies are to die for!


Their website is http://www.catfishplantation.com/

They have plenty of stained glass windows in the Catfish Plantation.  I think the one below would be a great tablerunner pattern for a large-print fabric.




We finally got to Our House in Milford (http://www.ourhouseinmilford.com/) at 4 p.m. and got to work.  Check out their website where you can see pictures of our weekend...see 2011 OHIM Labor Day Retreat.  We met new friends and visited with old ones and, as always, I WAS THE YOUNGEST ONE THERE! 

Mom worked on a Double Wedding Ring restoration all weekend and was almost finished by the time we left on Sunday...can you say Patience of Job?



I didn't get as much accomplished as I would've liked (do I ever ?) but I finished up several UFOs, so I can't really complain.  The next picture is of a quilt I pieced roughly 5 years ago, quilted in February and finally bound during the retreat.  Yep, I'm the turtle not the rabbit.  This kit came pre-cut from Building Blocks by Benartex.



This miniature is from Joan Ford of Hummingbird Highway.  The pattern, Autumn Patches, is packaged as a 'Snap Sack'.  It includes a pattern and all the fabric, even the backing.



I got this kit from A Sewing Basket in Salado several years back.  The pattern is Garden Maze.



This skinny tablerunner is from leftovers of the Sweet Memories quilt I quilted on Mom's short-arm back in February.  From a practical standpoint it's utterly useless, but I used up every scrap of leftovers I had, so I guess this project is what quilting is really all about...using what you've got.



This is a nifty block our friend, Marie W., showed us.  It uses 8 charm squares.  Ideally, there should be a lot of contrast between the 4 background blocks and the 4 pinwheel blocks.  She folded the 4 pinwheel blocks in half to make a large triangle and then folded one corner back toward the triangle's center point.  This would make a really cute dimensional quilt for a child.



I'm not sure who was more excited to see me yesterday...the kids or the dog.  My husband wasn't sporting that 'Oh, thank you, Sweet Lord, you're home' look so I'm assuming the children were reasonably well-behaved.  Paige informed me I had to shove her in my suitcase for the next retreat...dream on, Sister!

Happy quilting, ya'll!


No comments:

Post a Comment